Sunday, January 3, 2010

A new year

Well, here we go: the obligatory new year's post. At least I spared you all the holiday ones, right?



Well, the last year brought a lot of changes in my life. I decided to take a leap and step away from my whirlwind life in Theatre and try something entirely new by going back to school for Baking and Pastry. And what a change it's been! I've gone from on average 18-hour workdays of nonstop physical labor to 5 hours of running around in a kitchen and 20 hours weekly of a job that mostly entails sitting in front of a computer. If I still have my apartment from New Orleans, this would be an amazing schedule, but unfortunately I have a rather small apartment with three roommates. THREE. I've been able to get some small amount of knitting done, and finished two jacket commissions for a coworker of my mother, but not much else creatively. Don't worry, a resolution will hopefully take care of the lack in that area.



Since last we met, I acquired a serger! My mom, knowing that her mother always lamented the fact that I'm the only other one out of our family that sews, dropped the hint that I really wanted one, and not a few days later Grandma called me up and told me she'd found me one. She's awesome. Brand new Singer, and not one of the cheap Wal-Mart ones either, but a proper one. Beautiful stitching. I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet, but again... hopefully this year.



I'm taking part in the Harry Potter Knitting\Crochet House Cup on Ravelry that's running kind of concurrent with the Ravelympics. Still getting some planning done on my projects, and will hopefully be able to get knitting as soon as I get back to Ohio. I also still have a baby sweater to work on, for a little one that's due in about a month! Was supposed to work on that over the holidays, but this break's gone... well, it's gone about the same as every other break. I always plan projects and mean to be productive, but time off is SO GOOD.

Well, them's the basics at the moment. I plan to be around a lot more, as I just got my very own brand new laptop yesterday as a late Christmas\birthday present (thanks Mom and Dad!), so I'm going to be updating my food blog with projects from school and my own experiments, and will be able to update this one as well. I'll try to keep you all posted on my knitting projects... and now that I'm not sewing for a living anymore, I actually *want* to sew again, so hopefully I'll have a chance to do some of that soon as well. Until next time!

No comments: